Tuesday, April 21, 2009

District Council 09

As a member of the Assemblies of God, I am a part of a larger network of pastor's and believers. Each year people from all over our District (Alabama) gather together for several days of worship, teaching, and business meetings :(. This year's council was much different than any I have ever been to. And I must say that I am proud to be a part of the Alabama District Council of the Assemblies of God. Here are some reasons why:

  • Electing Ken Draughon as District Superintendent (his role is similar to the pastor in a local congregation). Ken's a great guy, has a very successful track record--both as a pastor and as World Missions Director, and seems to have a very progressive outlook (he's on facebook for crying out loud:) I've gotten to know him a little through a program called NavNet that he mentors. Really looking forward to the new direction he'll give to our District.
  • Forming a Self-Study Team. I know this seems trivial, but in a state where I would argue MOST pastors are not forward-thinking, to agree to form a team to see if what we are doing is working, AND if it's not, to figure out how to improve...it's a pretty big deal.
  • Apollos and Timothy. I know Alabama is not really know for it's education system (at least not in a good way). But both of these initiatives are designed to help pastors (who don't get paid a lot) pay for the rising costs of college and continuing education. According to my sources, we are the first (or at least one of the first) districts to offer anything like this (as much 100% payment of student loans or continuing education costs). Imagine that...Alabama leading the way in education :)
There are some exciting days on the horizon for our fellowship of believers. I look forward to a newer, deeper partnership as we strive to reach a lost and broken world.

No comments: