Monday, December 8, 2008

Hurricanes in December

I would like to start off stating the obvious: Hurricanes don't occur in December.  And though a meteorological hurricane may be far from present, a "life hurricane" is not.  Last week was--in a word--crazy for me.  Things started off slow.  I had a hard time focusing--especially at the church, I lacked energy, and nothing was going on.  It was setting up to be quite a pedestrian week.  

Then Wednesday came.  I'm not entirely sure that I've ever had a day like Wednesday.  The closest I could compare Wednesday to would be an experience I had in 3rd Grade:  Hurricane Opal.  I lived in Southeast Alabama then, so we lived relatively close to the Gulf.  Hurricane Opal came through and wreaked havoc on our area.  We were without power for a day or two, there were trees down (my granddad lost his barn/shed).  It was chaotic.  Wednesday was kind of like that.  For whatever reason, I felt depressed (I guess that's the right word) when I woke up.  Then the day continued to get worse as several "flare-ups" occurred.  Then there was a mediocre worship service, which got slightly better because I actually didn't feel like the teaching went that bad, then slightly worse because people didn't respond to the altar call.

So I went home and my wife and I unpacked the day's happenings and were about to head to bed, when one of us got the wacky idea to check if Amanda was pregnant.  Three minutes later we went from extremely low to the top of the world...we are pregnant!  

So the rest of the week was spent telling family and friends about our exciting news.  So this week has definitely been like a hurricane.  Turns out the hurricanes in December aren't that bad :)  

No comments: