Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Life Lived Fully

Yesterday I had the privilege to take part in remembering an awesome woman of God. Mary Edgar is one of my heroes of faith. I can remember when I started attending youth group at El Bethel, how she would sit in services on Sundays, and--no lie--pray the entire service (mostly in tongues too, I think). She had such a passion.

But her story is so much more than that.

Though she came from a small town (or really out in the woods from a small town), she had a global impact. During her lifetime she went on 20 missions trips. She also had a passion for teenagers, serving with our District's Youth Camps for over 30 years. The stories I've heard (which probably come nowhere near accurately describing the impact of her life) of how she would pray and cry and laugh with people all over the world amazes me.

Sometimes, we buy into Satan's lie that we cannot do anything to change the world. We feel unusable. But, no matter where we're from, no matter how badly we may have screwed up in the past, no matter who are family is...we can still be used by God to bring healing to a broken world.

Maw Al did.

And if a woman from a little church outside a little town with no formal ministry training, can make such a GLOBAL impact, then surely you and I can too.

May her memory live on forever in our thoughts and deeds.

No comments: