Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Developing Leaders

One of my personal passions is developing the potential of those around me.  That's not just a ministry "goal" for me, it's a life calling.  God has blessed me with the ability (not sure if that's the right word) to see the potential/talent/calling/hidden abilities in others.  Because of that, I have this burning desire to see them achieve their God-callings.

If you are in ministry, I don't believe developing leaders/people is optional.  Jeremiah tells us that God has a plan for each of our lives.  As the spiritual shepherds of our congregations, it is our responsibility to help people discover that plan and then execute it.  I believe that this is the life that Jesus calls us to when he says he gives "life more abundantly."  I believe that worshipping God involves living out the plan He has for us.

Before you can develop leaders, you have to have a passion for people.  Jesus was passionate about people--no matter their background, social status, or messed-up-ness.  He could see the potential in corrupt people like Matthew and crazed nationalistic terrorists like Simon the Zealot.  If you have difficulty seeing the value and potential in others, I believe you should ask God to open your eyes.  Ask God for the passion it takes to deal with people and their messed-up-ness (it can be hard to deal with at times).  When you see the value that the people around you have, you can then begin to take steps toward developing leaders.

No comments: