Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The best (?) and WORST of the Presidential Race

Well, the day we've all been waiting on is here.  I must so I couldn't be more relieved that this election is over.  I hate campaign season.  It's divisive and usually ends with people (particularly Christians) making themselves look real shallow, dumb, and hateful.  In celebration of this day, I want to take some time to look at the best and WORST of this election year in regards to the church.

The best:  I got to vote.  This is my first time voting in a presidential election (well any real election--I just registered a month ago!).  I must say, that despite my cynicism, I really enjoyed getting to go to Vincent Town Hall and casting my ballot.  And yes, though my vote--especially for President--doesn't really count (thanks Electoral College), I still had a great sense of pride and responsibility.  I am truly thankful that God has placed me in a country where freedom reigns (mostly).  I believe that God wants to use our country and our vast freedom and resources to reach the world, within and without.

With that being said, I believe that we as Christians missed a great opportunity to set an example of Christ before our own nation.  Citizens of the United States, I apologize for the actions of my brothers and sisters in Christ.  I have been very disappointed with the muckraking, bickering, and overall lack of love in this election.  The group that is supposed to bring peace and unity is the main reason for so much division in our country.  It really is no wonder at all that people don't want to be a part of our faith.  If you were always told how horrible, stupid, classless, cold-hearted, misguided, lost, depraved, rejected, anti-everything, etc., you'd probably feel the same way.  I don't think there is anything wrong with Christians voting the way their conscience leads them--that's fine.  But don't abuse someone who sees things differently than you.  God put us in a position to shine His light and tell His story and WE BLEW IT!!!  America we're sorry.

  I really hope that no matter who wins today, that Christians will take the lead in restoring unity within our country and with our fellow humanity around the globe.  Our leaders need our prayers, no matter what political agenda they have.  Remember, God is our Hope and Saviour, not a politician (or any other man/woman for that matter).  This nation is starving for a real relationship with God and they need us to share that with them.  We can't do that if we draw party lines and aren't willing to cross it to reach people on the other side.

God bless America (and the whole world too)!

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Great running of your mouth...I agree!