Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Babies Don't Quit

"...I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."  
Matthew 18.3

I don't know if you are like me, but, there are somethings that Jesus says that don't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Sometimes it would seem like--as a preacher--he would lose His mind.  He has everyone going, and the crowds are drawn in and then *BAM* He hits them up with a line like "unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood you cannot be my disciple." [John 6.53 paraphrased]  And the thing that always gets me is that last line, "you cannot me my disciple."  Almost every outlandish thing Jesus says is followed with that phrase.

I grew up with the general teaching that the living under the New Covenant was easier than the Old.  I disagree with that.  Yes, the Old had more technical things, but for the most part, they were doable (just mundane).  However, in the New, we're asked to do things that are basically impossible on our own.  Here are a few examples:

You have heard that it was said...'do not murder'...(Old), But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother is subject to judgement (New).

You have heard that it was said, "Do not commit adultery.' (Old) But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery...(New)

The verse at the top falls into this category in my mind.  How in the world are we supposed to become young again (unless of course you are Benjamin Button)?  Why would we want to become like a child, AGAIN?

I think God answered that question (or at least part of it) for me the other night.  On our way home from the Regional Tournament, the coach's daughter began walking up and down the bus (she's a little over 1 I think).  She's still grasping the concept of walking, so she often fell.  But when she did, she never cried, she didn't just lay there for ever.  She'd always get back up.  And then it hit me, "babies don't quit."  They fall all the stinkin' time, the hit their heads on stuff, and they struggle at doing almost everything that we do without thinking.  But they never quit.  I think that's why Jesus used the illustration of becoming like a child to follow Him:  because babies don't quit!

2 comments:

Joannie said...

Babies hearts are pure & always full of love. Adult hearts sometimes become tainted, bitter, resentful, angry & for some just mean! They sometimes feel that they are justified in those feelings for the things that they have had to endure in their lives. The problem is those hearts affect people around them. We all have blessings & things to be thankful for!!! Stand back & look at the world through a baby's eyes with wonder & amazement! Maybe if we can, our hearts would change & we can truly appreciate what Jesus was trying to show us! Have a GREAT Wednesday!

Sue said...

This may be your "BESTEST" post....sure made me think. Babies/children have to learn prejudice & hate and all the bad...they learn it from parents and adults. That's sad. One of the things I enjoyed most about teaching first grade is the fact that I could sing songs to them and they didn't know (at that age) that I COULDN'T sing. They loved me and enjoyed my singing. Do you think I would sing to teenagers or adults?? NO WAY!