Friday, February 13, 2009

Why Salt?

So I was reading in Leviticus (ch.2) last night when I stumbled upon a verse that has me a bit baffled.  Here it is:

Leviticus 2.3: Season all your grain offerings with salt to remind you of God’s eternal covenant. Never forget to add salt to your grain offerings.

Sometimes God asks things that don't make a lot of sense--especially in the OT (maybe its just b/c I've never been a Jew).  Apparently, for some reason this salting is very important.  But why?

I need your help.  If you have ANY insight at all (no answer is too crazy), please comment me.  Monday, I'll post what I found out...

Thanks for the help.

2 comments:

codie lee said...

I read your post and really started thinking. I put a lot of thought. Usually when I put a lot thought into things, I talk it out with RD.

I sent him the Bible verse and he sent me back what he thought.... which is what I was thinking, but could not explain to where it made sense.

"I Believe that it is basically saying give God your best because that’s what he deserves. Never forget what he’s done for you. Don’t just give an offering give a prized offering."

So... that is our thought.... also don't just give a lamb, but give your most precious, prize lamb.

Hope this helps! :)

Kayla said...

This is what I think...after thinking about what I have learned in the past about salt, this is what I came up with: Salt is a preservative, so, before modern technology, people packed meat with salt to preserve it and keep the bacteria from producing. So the technical reason for doing so is to preserve the meat. I think the spiritual meaning behind it is...earlier in Leviticus, it says that yeast is not allowed because it is considered a bacteria (representing sin), and salt is an antibacterial substance. Salt also aids in healing and when put with anything with moisture it dissolves to an almost inseparable point. So I think that salt represents God's on-going presence in our life, because it penetrates, preserves, and aids in healing, and does God not do the same things in our lives if we allow him. Yeah, so, thats what I think.