Monday, February 16, 2009

More Interesting Thoughts...

First off, I want to say thanks to Ryan, Codie, and Kayla for their input on the last post.  All were VERY good insights.  If you haven't read them, check it out on my last post, "Why Salt?"

As promised, here's what I found (this is not my opinion, it's theologian Adam Clarke's):
 
Salt was the opposite to leaven, for it preserved from putrefaction and corruption, and signified the purity and persevering fidelity that were necessary in the worship of God. Every thing was seasoned with it, to signify the purity and perfection that should be extended through every part of the Divine service, and through the hearts and lives of God’s worshippers. It was called the salt of the covenant of God, because as salt is incorruptible, so was the covenant made with Abram, Isaac, Jacob, and the patriarchs, relative to the redemption of the world by the incarnation and death of Jesus Christ. 

Here's another nugget of Scripture I found about a month back when I was reading Ecclesiastes [5.1,2]:

As you enter the house of God, keep your ears open and your mouth shut. It is evil to make mindless offerings to God.  Don’t make rash promises, and don’t be hasty in bringing matters before God. After all, God is in heaven, and you are here on earth. So let your words be few.

I think that we Pentecostal/Charismatics don't honor this part of God's Word.  We believe in exuberant worship and clapping, dancing, shouting, etc.  Don't get me wrong this are all good things and are also listed in the Bible as expressions of praise [Exodus 15.20, Psalm 126.2, 1 Samuel 4.5, Ezra 3.11].  But, I think we we fail (sin?) is forgetting the truth of this verse in Ecclesiastes.  We need to realize that God is in heaven and we are just part of HIS Creation.  So often we come in and offer God the first thing that pops in our minds and rush to make commitments to God that we never keep, when really He just desires for us to be in His Presence.  We wonder why we don't hear from God, but maybe it's because He can't get a word in edgewise because we're singing, shouting, dancing, praying, etc.

This verse has really challenged me.  I've tried to let me words be few in worship, and it's not easy.  When you're used to constantly making noise and you try to stop that noise while everyone around you is still making it...well it's not easy.

I think I need to find the balance between exuberant and reflective praise; the balance between speaking and listening.

What about you?  What do you think? 

3 comments:

codie lee said...

When i have more time I am going to leave a comment on what i think reguarding your post... but for now i will tell you my secret on where i get my fonts...

dafont.com

there you have it. it is an awesome place. any type font you can dream of. seriously.

enjoy!

Sue said...

Well...this is what I think.....I know I need to close my mouth more in order to listen to God. Is it going to be easy for me? No, but I do want to hear from God.

Joannie said...

Recently endured a quiet time that has taught me a lot about myself, God & others (especially some of those that never hush & never have anything positive to say)! I didn't get a chance to post my scripture on the last post but I'll do it now! Its one of my faves because I found it years & years ago when I was going through a difficult time & was being asked questions by a lot of nosey people.
This is from the NIV Colossians 4:6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
This verse has really helped me deal with difficult people & things.