Monday, February 2, 2009

Redemptive Themes

So, I finally saw the Dark Knight Friday (yeah, I know, I'm WAAAAAAAY behind).  First off I'd have to say that I LOVE the movie.  I love the interpretation of what growing up was my favorite superhero.  The characters, Gotham, the "culture", it all has an entirely different feel than the Tim Burton Batman movies.  

One thing I love about great movies is how they are trying to show you something more than just a great movie.  Many times, the best movies have undercurrents of Biblical themes: redemption, sacrifice, love, hypocrisy...the whole gamut.  The Dark Knight follows suite.

I think the thing I loved the most about the Joker was how--even though he WAS psychotic and blood-thirsty, he was really just trying to show that everyone else was as evil as he was (and that maybe he wasn't that evil?).  It can really be an eye-opener as to how corrupt people can be--especially when they are "pushed."

I wonder if a crazed-murder were to take over a church, and make the threats the Joker did, how would we respond?  Would we show love and compassion--even at the cost of our own lives...even our families lives?  Or, would we be just like everyone else and give in to save our skin?

If you've never seen the Dark Knight, I highly recommend it.  Enjoy the beauty of the film...the creative interpretation...but also look at the lessons to be learned from it.

2 comments:

codie lee said...

wow... i have never thought about it that way. i can guarantee you that we would be doing more that just praying and waiting for the good Lord to help us if a crazed murdered walked up into VRC on lovely Sunday morning! wow.. that really made me think... could be keep composure and fully put our Faith in God?

I have not seen that movie... but I am a lover of the batman movies. the first will always be #1 and will never be topped in my eyes..

i was the cool kid with batman sheets. barbies were overrated! haha...

Matt said...

You know who else was overrated?...Superman. He's not even a fun superhero (too strong).