Monday, January 26, 2009

Learning from the Best


I absolutely love new ideas.  I could honestly sit around and do nothing be read different ideas and strategies and theories all day [I'm guessing this may be the reason I love blogs so much].  One of the books I'm reading right now is by Jeanne Mayo--one of the greatest, most experienced youth pastors around--called "Thriving Youth Groups."  I must say that it really has gotten my creative juices pumping.

On top of that, there is a chapter in the book when she draws comparisons from three businesses: Disney, Nordstroms, and Starbucks (three of the most successful and friendly businesses in the US).  These guys are tops when it comes to customer service.  There really is a lot for churches to learn from business.

Here's a snippet about Nordstrom's:

One day, a customer returned a set of car tires to Nordstrom and demanded a full refund.  The clerk questioned the individual regarding the purchase of the tires, but the person persisted that he had acquired the tires there.  The clerk then smilingly returned the customer's tire money.  The only problem?  Nordstrom doesn't even sell tires!  What is the implication for youth ministry?  How many students do we alienate because we insist on our right to be right, even if it means the loss of relationship?

Great stuff.

No comments: