Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sermon Writing

Well, I just finished up writing my sermon for Wednesday night. This month's series has been incredibly easy for me (in a sense). Ever since I started reading the book Celebration of Discipline by R. Foster, I've been amazed at just how far of track we can be. I feel that it was God calling me back on track with Him. I've still got a LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG way to go!

Since I had gotten so into the book, my sermon series this month, which is a series of talks about Becoming Deep Disciples, focuses on the disciplines. Sometimes though, it's not that easy. Sometimes, it feels like I can't get it write. That God desires to say something, and I'm botching up his Words. Usually this happens when I don't invest a lot of time into the sermon. Perfect world, I'd like to spend about 2 full work days prepping for a message. Usually it only translates into about 2-3 hours. On my worst days, it's one hour:( The more I've researched and allowed God to speak to me first, the better I feel about delivering a message to someone else.

So I guess a good New Year's Resolution is to make sure I invest enough time in my sermon prep!

3 comments:

Kayla said...

two grammatical errors my friend...."write" should be "right" and "of" should be "off". Sorry, had to point that our for you. lol.

Sue said...

You may have to do like our boss....and close your door so you can get your prep time in without interruptions... (of course you did today and I knocked on your door two times)!

Matt said...

Mrs. Sue, I was really talking about scheduling distractions. Office noise doesn't bother me too much, so feel free to knock away :)